A brief history of Node.js
Believe it or not, Node.js is only 12 years old.
12 years isn't a very long time in tech, but Node.js seems to have been around forever.
In this post, we draw the big picture of Node.js in its history, to put things in perspective.
- Node.js is born
- The first form of npm is created
- npm hits version 1.0
- Larger companies start adopting Node.js: LinkedIn, Uber, etc.
- hapi is born
- Adoption continues very rapidly
- The Big Fork: io.js is a major fork of Node.js, with the goal of introducing ES6 support and moving faster
- The Node.js Foundation is born
- IO.js is merged back into Node.js
- npm introduces private modules
- Node.js 4 (versions 1, 2 and 3 never previously released)
- npm focuses more on security
- Node.js 8
- V8 introduces Node.js in its testing suite, officially making Node.js a target for the JS engine, in addition to Chrome
- 3 billion npm downloads every week
- Node.js 10
- ES modules .mjs experimental support
- Node.js 11
- Node.js 12
- Node.js 13
- Node.js 14
- Node.js 15
- Node.js 16
- Node.js 17